Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Charities That fund the search for a cure
Dec 30, 2010

When searching the internet, there seems to be many charities out there that will help people with HIV, but I am having trouble finding one that is helping fund the search for a cure.

With so many avenues being followed to find a cure and the "Berlin patient" announcement this year reinforcing the idea that either a "functional" cure or "elimination" cure can be found I find it odd that I'm not seeing rally's around finding a cure to HIV and funding being placed to race to the cure.

Most all charities I come across are those that support the population with HIV in a given geographical area, not charities that support research for a cure.

Where can I find charities that are devoted to finding a way to tame this tenacious little virus?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Thank you for asking this timely question.

The main non profit that is operated by activists that advocate for more funding in AIDS Cure Research is the AIDS Policy Project. I am a supporter of their work and am 100% behind it. The Treatment Action Group (TAG), Project Inform and AMFAR also advocate for research in this area. The AIDS Policy Project is a bare bones organization that really needs money for their town hall meetings, letter writing campaigns, and conference calls.

People who want to take action to support a cure can:

1. Write a letter to the NIH--they can go to the web site AIDS Policy Project for the link.

2. Make a contribution to the AIDS Policy Project by going to their web site: www.AIDSPolicyProject.org and hitting the DONATE button. Organize a fundraising brunch or cocktail hour. They are the only group laser-focused on a cure, and together they can ensure adequate resources and opportunities for the researchers who can take the field to the finish line--a cure for millions of people. Funding for them is a critical need that allows their survival. They also do not have a publicity and fundraising machinery since it costs money to hire people to do so. They certainly deserve adequate funding.

3. Sign up to meet with officials in Washington or in their home district to discuss the need for AIDS cure research funding. Send an email to info@aidspolicyproject.org with a note that says you are willing to meet with a public official.

4. Tell them if they are interested in receiving information about AIDS cure research studies.

5. Go to the Facebook page of Project Inform, TAG and amfAR and ask them to advocate for more money specifically for AIDS cure research at the NIH.

I have been helping the AIDS Policy Project with fundraising and spreading their message, and hope people who read this can join me. Only 3 percent of the NIH funding for HIV is going towards HIV Cure research and that needs to change soon if we are to get to a cure someday. At least, we are now hopeful that a cure may be possible!

I invite everyone in 2011 to make this their New Year's resolution: to support HIV Cure research financially, with volunteer time, or just asking your congress people to support funding for this important area that can save the lives of over 32 million people.

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Increased breast size in men- Can surgery take care of that?
Next
HIV risk? unprotected vaginal sex twice...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.