Label and Off-Label prescription of Deca

I understand that Deca Durabolin is no longer manufactured in the US. I've heard that compounding pharmacies will make it. However, I have heard that Deca is not indicated for lipo, or VAT, which makes a prescription for this "Off-Label."

How can I convince my doctor that this would be helpful in reducing my VAT, and to help build and sustain lean mass?

How do I locate a pharmacy that can compound Deca?

Nandrolone undecanoate (old brand: Deca Durabolin) has not been shown to decrease visceral fat in HIV or any other condition. It is being prescribed for those who cannot hold on to lean body mass without it, those who have lost weight unintentionally, and those who have lost a lot of fat and lean mass in their extremities and want to add muscle to make their bodies look more proportional.

Many doctors used to prescribe for HIV positives until the media went crazy with baseball and athletic anabolic use about three years ago. The interesting fact is that we have been using it since 1992 in HIV with few side effects and no legal problems to HIV doctors. Nandrolone is the most studied anabolic in HIV, but some doctors still feel is damaging to your health or that it will create dependence, two unfounded fears fed by the media. Luckily, there are doctors that know the real benefit in quality of life and body self perception in their patients.

There are many compounding pharmacies that make it by prescription. The two most popular now in my 3400 people pozhealth at yahoogroups.com are APSMEDS.com and gotocompoundingshop.com

By the way, the only anabolic that has been shown to decrease visceral fat in HIV in a small study is Oxandrolone (old brand: Oxandrin). It was extremely effective at reducing fat and increasing lean body mass, but it decreases good cholesterol (HDL) levels and increases liver enzymes. It is an oral and sometimes covered by insurance. It is expensive at $1100 per month for 20 mg per day.

This was taken from Oxandrin study

"The purpose of this double-blind, placebo-controlled study was to examine the effects of a 12-week aerobic and resistive exercise program, with and without oxandrolone. Aerobic exercise has been shown to decrease weight as well as central and peripheral fat in HIV-positive patients, while resistive training programs involving weight training have been shown to increase lean mass. A combined program in a study population with evidence of fat redistribution may improve symptoms in HIV patients on HAART.

A total of 32 patients with at least 2 symptoms associated with fat redistribution syndrome were randomized 1:1 to the oxandrolone arm and a placebo arm. Both groups undertook the exercise program: Subjects chose an aerobic program of either walking, jogging, running, or cycling for 30 minutes, 3 times a week, in a controlled, observed environment. The resistive work-out consisted of 2 sets of 8 to 10 repetitions of closely supervised weight-training exercises.

Measurement of free mass and fat-free mass using dual energy x-ray absorptiometry and abdominal adipose tissue using computed tomography were obtained at baseline and after 12 weeks. In addition, treadmill testing was utilized to determine exercise capacity by measuring maximum oxygen capacity and total time on treadmill. Laboratory markers included total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and triglyceride measurements.

Not surprisingly, subjects in both groups lost weight; decreased their body mass index, abdominal adipose, and triglycerides; and increased their oxygen use capacity. Subjects on oxandrolone demonstrated statistically significant increases in fat-free mass (P = .01) and exercise time on the treadmill (P = .027) compared with placebo. Unfortunately, the oxandrolone group also demonstrated significant increases in total cholesterol (P = .01) and LDL cholesterol (P = .016) levels and a decrease in HDL cholesterol (P = .003).

The authors concluded that the oxandrolone-treated group clearly demonstrated improvement in fat-free mass and exercise capacity. However, due to the negative effect of this steroid agent on lipids, the authors also cautioned providers "to weigh the risks and benefits associated with short term oxandrolone administration in this population. "

For more information on anabolics in HIV, read Built to Survive :

Built to Survive on amazon

I hope this answers your question.

Nelson

MRSA
Increased breast size in men- Can surgery take care of that?