The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Immune boosters and supplements

Dec 26, 2010

Hi Doc My husband is HIV positive and on ARVs. Can he possibly as well take some immune boosters (the likes of Tiansi products) or supplements.

Another thin he has a mild stroke which i think is HIV related will it go away by just taking ARVs or he needs something else to corret this. Many thanks

Response from Mr. Vergel

We have not found any effective boosters that have been published in a peer reviewed journal. However, there was a small study that showed an increase in CD4 cells with the use of an antioxidant combination called K PAX (the New York Buyers Club sells a similar and cheaper combination called Mac Pack : Mac Pack )

There will be a larger placebo controlled study in Canada with the K Pax supplement in HIV+ treatment naives to see if their CD4 cells increase. This is the study: Supplement Study

The Mac Pack above has selenium, which has also be shown to be immune stimulant in HIV.Selenium in HIV

Whey protein supplementation has been studied in HIV. A small placebo controlled study found a trend for higher CD4 cells in those taking whey. Here is the abstract:

Whey and HIV

I like Isopure whey protein since it is very light. You can also get it at the New York Buyer's Club.

I have no information on the Tiansi products you mentioned.

And last but not least, HIV medications are the best immune boosters in HIV.


I need help from an expert!
A good supplement?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint