Fiber and Lipodystrophy belly

Nelson, I heard that eating fiber can help us with the belly problem. Is this true? should I take fiber supplements? What foods?

Fiber slows down the absorption of carbohydrates into the blood stream and has been found to decrease insulin resistance. Insulin resistance has been linked to abdominal fat accumulation in HIV.

Here is a great page that describes the different types of fibers:

Fiber Article

Yes, a high-fiber diet in HIV-positive men has been shown to be associated with lower risk of developing fat deposition in a observational study done by Tufts University. Here is the paper:

Tufts University DIET study

I good way to ensure that you are eating enough soluble and insoluble fiber every day is to have a cup of oatmeal, an orange and an apple. A salad as a side dish can also add to fiber requirements.

Here are pictures of more food sources of fiber:

Pictures of Foods Rich in Fiber

No one has done a study using fiber supplements like Citrucell, Benefiber, and others on fat accumulation in HIV. I like both supplements and sometimes add them to oatmeal along with yogurt, nuts and berries. They can help in having normal stools, keep you full longer and hopefully decrease insulin spikes and resistance. For more information on fiber supplements, read this short article: Fiber Supplements

I hope this helped.

Nelson

Growing Hormone?
HPV Vaccine- Should I use it and will my insurance pay?