Mickey D's diet

I am single, hate to cook, but love to eat. Unfortunately I tend towards the pre-packaged or fast foods. I know the foods I should eat, but can't seem to get myself to cook them. It also seems when I try to cook, I have to buy so many ingrediants, it turns out to be expensive for one person. Any suggestions or websites I can visit for tips on how to improve my 'single guy's diet'?

Such a great question! Thanks for asking it.

The following info is in my last book "Testosterone: A Man's Guide"

Nutritional Tips:

Shop mostly in the outer part of the grocery store where the fresh produce, meats, and milk products/eggs are.

Do not skip breakfast (keep an eye on sugar and refined flour products!)

Try to eat several smaller meals or snacks instead of two to three large ones.

Eat more almonds, walnuts, pecans and pistachios (good cholesterol lowering fats).

Eat fruits and vegetables of all colors.

Avoid sodas, sweet drinks and fruits juices (fruit sounds healthy but the juice part brings in too many sugars).

Drink lots of water.

Eat a high protein, complex carbohydrate- rich meal after work outs.

Minimize caffeine (it reduces appetite but can increase anxiety).

Get a slow cooker so that you come back from work to a warm meal. They come with a cook book with easy recipes. Use it.

Cook for the week and freeze in individual serving sized containers.

. Boil a whole dozen of eggs and keep them in the fridge for snacking.

Reduce saturated (animal) fats, fried foods and hydrogenated oils.

Use good fats: olive oil, nuts, avocados.

Minimize sugars like fructose (sweets, sodas, and many processed foods are high in fructose corn syrup).

Eat adequate amounts (0.7-1 gm/lb/day) of protein (fish, eggs, cottage cheese, lean meats, chicken, whey, yogurt, nuts, etc).

Eat more high-fiber, nutrient and fluid-rich, low calorie, low glycemic carbs like: Oatmeal, multi-grain breads, vegetables, fruits, roots, greens, wild rice and beans.

Grocery shopping list:

o Almonds and other nuts

o Beans and other legumes

o Spinach and other green leafy vegetables

o Low fat dairy, yogurt (Greek style)

o Hummus

o Whey protein (I like the Isopure brand since it does not give me gut problems and it is very light)

o Oatmeal (not the little packets; those are loaded with sugars ) o Eggs (free range or Omega 3 enriched if possible)

o Lean meats

o Whole grain breads and pasta

o Peanut, almond, cashew butters

o Olive oil and avocados

o Raspberries and all berries. Whole fruits (remember, not juices)

o Occasional glass of red wine per day (optional)

o Pumpkin and sunflower seeds

o Sweet potatoes and wild rice

o Green tea

I have not read this book, but it seems to have had good reviews:

Cook Your Meals the Lazy Way

By the way, I am also pretty lazy in the kitchen and usually too busy to be bothered. But I find that filling up my fridge with healthy snacks and cooking a lot when I feel in the mood to freeze a lot of the meals in small containers really help. And thank God for natural almond butter and multigrain bread (this combo gets me out of trouble when I have nothing else to eat!). And remember that frozen vegetables are sometimes as or more healthy than fresh ones since food companies freeze them at their peak of nutritional value.

So, planning your week is key as a bachelor who lives alone and does not want to be bothered with cooking or junk food.

I hope this helped a little.

Nelson

Liver problems and supplements
What to look forward to in 2011