Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How Do You Look So Good!
Dec 16, 2010

Hi Nelson,

I see you have uploaded a new picture. You look Great by the way! I had no idea you were so Muscular! My question is, how can I increase my build safely? I take Atripla, Undetectable per the new guidlines and <20 copies per ml of blood. I am 6 foot and I weigh 185. Otherwise I am in good health but I have noticed by legs are a bit boney. I try to eat right, lean protein, take Kpak vitamins etc... I try to work out but it is hard to add muscle especially in my legs. My arms and chest get a little bigger but not my legs. I'm at a loss? I do plan on checking my Thyroid and Testosterone.

Thanks,

Wayne Dallas, Texas

Response from Mr. Vergel

Wayne

:) Thanks a lot for your kind words.

I work out 3 times a week and try not to take breaks. I have been doing it for 25 years. I really would rather not go to the gym, but my mood changes when I do not exercise. Besides,like many of us who have lived with HIV for so long and have gone through the ravages of wasting and then lipodystrophy, I am afraid that if I stop things will start falling apart as I age. So, that keeps me going back to the gym when I do not feel like it. So, I would say consistency is the main factor at aging well and developing lean tissue and strong bones that will help us when we get old.

Increasing leg size is not horribly difficult. But the best exercises are out of reach for me (squats). I have had three back surgeries and avoid putting weights on my spine. So, I use machines for legs. Here you can see a few of the exercises that I use:

Exercise 1

Exercise 2

Exercise 3

Exercise 4

Exercise 5

I am glad you are also checking your hormones soon.

I hope this helped!

Nelson

Previous
So now that the Berlin patient is cured..how about us?
Next
what about using these steroids?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.