Melatonin

Hello Nelson.

We've corresponded several times over the past six years. On one occasion I posed a question about improving my sleep. Ever since my year on Sustiva/Efavirenz in 2004 the sleep-disturbance problem has not gone away. Just recently I found some advice in a UK HIV+ magazine called Baseline suggesting that cherries consumed for bedtime help sleep because they contain melatonin which is necessary for good sleep.

However, I did some research and found that it's actually Montmorency cherries which have an appreciable amount of melatonin in them but that one would have to consume vast numbers of them each night to get the required 0.1 to 0.3mgs of melatonin into the system that is thought to be used by the healthy brain.

So the solution is to buy synthetically-produced capsules, open a capsule and just take the right amount. I've been doing this for about a week now and I am getting an extra two hours of high-quality sleep and the remaining two hours of sleep per night are filled with pleasant or harmless dreams rather than the nightmares I have been used to.

Is it all right for me to take melatonin with Tenofovir, Viread, and Epivir?

Many thanks and Best Wishes.

I could not find any interaction data between melatonin, tenofovir, efavirenz and epivir.

If you are having such a hard time sleeping with Sustiva, why has your doctor not switched you to other drugs like boosted Reyataz or Isentress? If you are in the UK, they should be available.

Nelson

Effects of exercise
Why am I eating so much?