End of the line (temporarily) for Calcium supplementation?

Nearly one year ago, my MD recommended I begin Calcium with Vitamin D. I acquired a Costco supply of Calcium 600mg plus D-3 400IU tabs and began taking the tabs twice daily. During my quarterly lab check a few weeks ago (all is nominal) and face-to-face, my doc told me to immediately discontinue the Calcium plus Vitamin D combo, and to take only Vitamin D. So, back to Costco, and now I'm armed with Vitamin D-3 2000IU. I'll take one daily. When I asked what the hell happened, my MD said that some recent studies reflect problems with the manner in which current preparations of Calcium distribute, by bunching-up in the blood vessels of the whole population, not only HIV patients, constricting blood flow. What's up with this? If this is the case, why no admonishment in the media? I'm unable to find any discussion of the dilemma, so I'm asking you. Thanks, Mike.

Mike

Yes, your doctor is right about the meta analysis review of studies.

It was found that calcium supplements presented an increased cardiovascular risk in women taking calcium supplements ( no vitamin D info was provided).

Some people are doubting this conclusion since it was not a prospective study and due to limitations in the review. We will hear more about those opinions soon as several people are now going deeper into how the meta analysis was done and what specific baseline characteristics of those women were. So, stay tuned.

Here is the analysis: Calcium supplements boost heart-attack risk: Meta-analysis

Until more data are available, it is advisable to get your calcium from food sources: Calcium food sources

While we wait for more clarification, keep taking 2000 IU of vitamin D a day, but make sure you get your Vitamin D blood levels (25-OH Vit D) tested in your blood since some poz people need more than 2000 IU to reach 25-OH Vit D levels above 40 nanograms per dl, levels considered to possibly help maintain healthy bones and immune function.

Nelson

don't know to be on or off testosterone(androgel)
Stomache Fat/Bloating