Egrifta: Followup Regarding Prostate Cancer

In response to a question posted on 5/23/10, you mentioned asking Serano for input. Did you ever get a response? I was in a clinical trial for tesamorelin a few years ago at St. Luke's in NYC and experienced excellent results. I've recently been diagnosed w/low risk prostate cancer (stage T1c) and have decided, at this time, to choose active surveillance rather than any treatment option. I've been waiting anxiously for FDA approval . . . will be very disappointed if I'm now ineligible. Thanks, SW

We are still waiting for the FDA word on Egrifta's approval for the treatment of visceral fat associated with HIV lipodystrophy.

Egrifta is a growth hormone releasing hormone that makes your own body produce its own growth hormone. Some clinicians feel uneasy about prescribing growth hormone products to men with prostate cancer since there may be a risk to make the cancer grow, but there is contradictory data about this concern. I guess you can chose to follow your prostate frequently when you start start using it, but you have to ensure that you have a good urologist. Follow your prostatic specific antigen (PSA), digital rectal exam, and possibly ultrasound or biopsy per your urologist recommendations.

Nelson

Please Update Advice on Supplements
new cure for HIV ???