Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

weight loss in son recently diagnosed
Sep 6, 2010

my son is 19 years old and recently diagnosed less than six months ago. he is losing weight. i want to know what we can do to help him gain weight. I dont know if it is his body unable to absorb nutrients or if the disease is progressing.he has health insurance so how regularly should he see a dr.-he is on meds, and what type of questions should we be asking?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Most people on HIV medications gain weight when their immune system restores, so it is a matter of feeding him healthy foods and making sure he exercises some. If after 6 months he has not regained the lost weight, then we can talk about other options that doctors prescribe to boost lean body mass up to healthier levels. At his age, he should do well.

Make sure he is not having unmanaged diarrhea, nausea or appetite loss since those three factors can get in the way of weight regain.

Make sure he has 3-4 meals a day. Breakfast is the most important of all and should contain eggs fortified with Omega 3 fatty acids, nuts, fruit, oatmeal,Greek style yogurt, natural peanut butter sandwich on multigrain bread, etc.

If you want to supplement his diet with an aminoacid supplement, JUVEN ( go to Juven.com) has been shown to help increase lean body mass and weight in people going through chronic illness. You can find it in health food stores.

Make sure he takes a multivitamin twice a day and that he is surrounded by supportive people like yourself. It is important that he does not get overwhelmed with his diagnosis and that depression does not become an issue. Depression can really affect every part of one's life, specially appetite.

Let us know things go with your son. He is lucky to have such supportive mom who researches answers on the Internet.

Nelson

Previous
Por favor respuesta desde Perú
Next
Pls advise my worry

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.