NAC

I have had several folks tell me I should be taking an NAC tablet once a day. DOes this supplement really do anything beneficial to hiv?

Thanks

NAC (N- acetylcysteine) is a derivative of the naturally occurring amino acid cysteine. It has been studied in the 90's in HIV with some contradictory results in increasing CD4 cells at higher doses that could cause stomach upset. It supposedly increases the body's own production of glutathione, an antioxidant. But some studies concluded that NAC does not get absorbed well into the blood stream. I tried it and it gave me a lot of gas and soft stools.

I particularly do not take it. I take selenium and a B complex to maintain my glutathione to healthy levels.

There is some more information on NAC here: NAC studies

NAC info

Nelson

Built To Survive and Healing HIV: How To Rebuild Your Immune System
Vitamins and Suppliments for Low Income People