could this be why i am loosing weight

hello Iam a 57 yr old man diagnosed hiv pos 1990. I have been on most of the drugs for hiv and suffer from lipoatrophy. my present meds are isentress ritonivir prezista and acyclovir t cell 1034 (was 17t cells in 1995)lol vlundetectable i am presently taking vit. d 1000mg a day and l carnatine 1980mg a day but i have a problem with weight lose 5' 7" and 123 lbs and do not seem to be able to gain weight my question being could the l carnatine be contributing to my weight loss. THANK YOU

Carnitine is a shuttle for fat to get to the mitochondria to be coverted into energy, the energy factories of our cells. It has been shown to decrease lipids and improve AZT related muscle weakness. So, I doubt that your weight loss may be due to it.

You do not mention your "normal body weight" or the amount of weight loss. I will assume that you have lost at least 5% of your normal body weight.

Are you working out and eating the same amount of calories per day? Have you had your thyroid and testosterone checked? If you are eating the same, are not exercising too much, and your hormones are normal,but you are still losing weight, then you may want to talk to your doctor about oxandrolone or nandrolone, two anabolic agents used along with a testosterone gel or injections to help people regain lean mass after illness. You can read more about them here:Description of anabolics used in HIV

I hope this helps!

Nelson

Dementia or just old age or what?
on Arv's, what to eat increase CD4 ├žounts and weight.