Combivir Side Effects

I on my 3rd week of taking combivir 2x a day. The initial week was ok but I started feeling worst on the 2nd week onwards. I'm feeling joint pains. I noticed that my arm and leg muscles are a little flabby now not firm as before. I cant go to the gym yet because I've also developed sleeping problems and making me feel so weak. I just lost 2kgs since the start of the theraphy. I consulted my doctor and he said that it is normal. But how long should I be experiencing this?

Some people seem not to do as well than others when exposed to AZT (one of the medicines in Combivir). Some feel tired due to anemia or have muscle weakness (myopathy). Some may experience fat loss under the skin (lipoatrophy).

It seems that your side effects came on pretty quickly. Most doctors would tell you to wait a little longer before you make any adjustments since some side effects tend to get better with time.

There have been some studies that show that taking Carnitine at 2000-4000 mg/day can help reverse some of the muscle weakness and potentially the fatigue associated with AZT.

I am assumimg that you are in a country that has no access to tenofovir. In the US, doctors prefer to prescribe tenofovir than AZT since tenofovir does not cause myopathy, lipoatrophy and anemia. However, tenofovir has been associated with some kidney dysfunction in some patients. Talk to your doctor about tenofovir (assuming you may have access to the drug).

One thing that you fail to mention is what other drug you are using with Combivir.

I hope this information helped you in some way. Let us know how things go with you in the next few weeks.

Hang in there

Nelson

Please S.O.S. I need some hope
ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION S.O.S