Please S.O.S. I need some hope

Hi Dr.

I was recently diagnosed with HIV + and yesterdat I got my first lab results: CD4 221 and 84.000 copies of the virus. Im very sad and need some hope. I need a hope from your side to know if it is possible recover my immune system again and keep it for many years with a correct medecation. I'm afraid. I live in Peru, South America and some time we don't have here the best medicines. The good think is that I'll have my first consultation with a pretty know doctor in Peru, but after reading this excelent forum I know that finally each one of us are our own doctor. You think it is neccesary before start my medical treatment check the resistence of the virus to the drugs?, It is recommended start immediately with a 3 drug treatment?. Thank you in advance for you promtly response.

ADRIAN

Adrian

I am sorry that you just found out you are HIV+. I have been poz for 27 years and I can say that education, medications and self care go a long way to keep us healthy. Most people are having normal lives but many of us deal with stigma and discrimination, specially in countries like yours and mine (I am from Venezuela). So, find yourself a good support group of HIV+ people in Peru to deal with your emotional issues right now.

There is a 8-12 percent incidence of non nucleoside transmitted resistance in naive patients, so many doctors in the US do a genotype test even in those who just find out they are positive to make sure that treatments like Sustiva , Atripla, or Viramune can work. Depending on your country's medical system, this may also be required there.

Let me know what "first line" regimens are available in Peru keep me informed about your situation. I am here to help in any way I can.

Nelson

RE: Is L-carnitine a good weight loss supplement
Combivir Side Effects