Osteoporosis

Hello and thanks for reading my email. I have emailed you before and you have been so helpful. My son is almost 6 and doing wonderful on meds(for 5.5 years), etc. Do we need to supplement calcium? I am just reading the research about Osteoporosis. Of course he is a VERY active little boy, so he is getting plenty of exercise. We do have him drink a nutren jr shake each day. I just want to make sure that I don't need to be more viligant. I am a preventative person by nature.

I would just make sure that he eats well ( calcium sources: milk, cheese, and others : http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixb.htm ), he exercises, he does not lose weight under what should be normal for his height and age, and that he gets 20 minutes of sun a day. That should be enough to keep his bones strong ! Also, you may want to have his doctor measure his Vitamin D blood levels in summer and winter just to make sure his body is producing enough for strong bones.

Nelson

Poppers/Rush/Amyl Nitrite
Alcohol helps but I obviously need a new diet.