Question about Oxandrin

I am wondering if (in addition to Androgel,5 g once daily)adding Oxandrin to my regimen might help getting my body back in shape. I have developed a "pregnant like" stomach. I do not exercise regularly, I swim when I am feeling up to it. Also might the Oxandrin help me to generally feel better, more energetic? I am 51 and not too long ago I had an OK body. I was on Oxandrin for many years but stopped it 2 1/2 years ago when I was hospitalized for Pancreatitus. I thought that I remembered a study that determined that PWA's using Oxandrin and who did not excercise did notice an improvement in their bodies. Yes I know that it is ideal to exercise, but often that just is not an option due to my fatigue and other problems. I am taking Issentris, Truvada, Presista and Norvir. Apparently that combo is not supposed to induce Lipodystrophy, but in my case I believe that it has. There is no other cocktail I can take as I have resistance to everything else. Thank you for your time!

First of all, studies have found that there is no such a thing as a weight gain free combo. Most people gain some weight and fat when their immune system improves after starting HAART. And some people gain more than others. A person life style,age, genetics, CD4 cells at start, and others may be factors that determine how much or how little weight is gained. The challenge for us is to do what it takes to keep our bodies in shape while suppressing this virus completely!.

Oxandrin (now is a generic: oxandrolone) is an oral anabolic steroid prescribed legally to people with disease related weight loss. A small plot study done in Dallas by Dr Bellos years ago showed that it may also decrease belly fat when used with exercise. But the study was tiny and not controlled. Oxandrin lowers your testosterone blood levels, so men should take it with a testosterone gel or injections to protect sexual function and moood/fatigue. But be careful: some people feel a lot hungrier when taking it. Exercise is key, even if you start slow due to your fatigue.

A dose of 20 mg a day with 10 grams a day of Androgel or Testim is standard.

Some doctors prescribe it off label for people with belly problems, but as I said, the data is very limited on tis use.

A new daily injectable product called Egrifta will probably be approved soon by the FDA to reduce belly fat related to HIV lipodystrophy. So, be on the look out for that. I will people know on this column when that happens and give more instructions on how to use it.

You can find more information about Oxandrin and other products for body shape changes in my book "Built to Survive" available on Amazon.com. The book funds my non profit: Program for Wellness Restoration (www.powerusa.org)

Please address your fatigue with your doctor. Make sure that you do not have sleep apnea or depression since those two are probably the main reasons people get tired.

Please let me know if I can help you in any other way.

Nelson

Weight control again
SGPT,SGOT AND TG HIGH