Re: Vegan Diet/ Strenghth and Cardio Exercise

I was diagnosed HIV positive in August 2008. I am currently a vegan, and I work out 5 days a week. !1.3 days cardio: a. spin class (1)hour, and jog one mile. 2. 2 days strength /weight training with a trainer. I usually eat 5 to 6 small meals daily inclusive of a great breakfast. I am currently on Atripla.. I look and feel absolutely incredible. Will I be able to sustain this regimen for the next 10 years. I am 51 years of age and I feel 30.. All the best.

Absolutely you can. As long as you know how to maximize your protein intake and do not develop vitamin/mineral deficiencies due to poor det. There are many web sites that explain how to be a "savvy vegetarian".

Here is an example: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/get-enough-protein-veg-diet.php

Besides protein intake, another concern that I haveis that you should also make sure that your intake of good fats is good. Flaxseed, olive oil, and if you can, fish oil capsules can provide those oils. Without them, your body cannot make hormones.

It seems that you are exercising a lot and that your energy level is good, so it seems that being a vegan is working for you (although you do not tell me how long you have been a vegan). Just make sure that you do not lose too much lean body mass in the process by consuming enough and varied protein sources and by not over exercising. A good multivitamin may also provide micronutrients that sometimes are difficult to obtain via a vegan diet.

It must be a good feeling not having to consume animal meats. Just be an educated vegan so that all your nutritional needs are met while you are living with a chronic illness.

Nelson

Might HCG Help with Fat Reduction
thanks