Have been taking efavirenz for 18 months and still get sick

Hi Doc...

I have been taking efavirenz for 18 months now and I still feel surt of sick sometimes. I usually start feeling like that after two hours of taking it, and this discomfort can last for two or three hours...

I always take it at night, at the same time (9pm), sometimes my stomach is empty, sometimes not, then if I get something else to do but sleep, like going to party, dinner, the movies or just stucked at work...Imagine the driving back home scene...

I reduced drinking close to 0, don't do any drugs or eat faty meals either

Is this discomfort ever going to fade away?

Thank you. Dave

Dave

Food increases Efavirenz blood levels and possibly side effects. It sounds to me that your life style does not allow you to take this drug on an empty stomach. There is absolutely nothing wrong in telling your doctor that your life style gets in the way of taking this drug as recommended.

Don't struggle anymore. Talk to your doctor about other options. But if you switch from Atripla to other options you will be giving up the convenience of one pill (the combo of boosted Reyataz plus Truvada requires three pills once a day; Isentress plus Truvada require one pill twice a day and one pill once a day). Some people do not mind the extra pills as long they feel good.

Nelson

Atripla Sildenafil interaction
Am I losing my memory due to HIV?