Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are MAC symptoms?
May 20, 2010

Four days ago, I had terrible periodic stomach ache and have been going to the toilet at least 3-4 times a day and my bowel is foamy, very small and sometimes my bowel is like phelgm. I'm POZ for almost 4 years now, not yet on ARV and havent had my CD4 checked. Yesterday my doctor gave me ciprofloxacin 500mg 2x a day. I feel better on my 2nd tablet, no more stomach cramps and have only been twice to the toilet. I had more bowel and I dont feel the urge of going to the toilet as often as before.

I feel better after taking ciprofloxacin, does it mean that I should not be worried about having MAC? If you have MAC will it respond the same way with ciprofloxacin? I understand that you had to take additional antibiotics if you have MAC.

What are the symptoms if you have MAC?

Response from Mr. Vergel

MAC only affects those with very low CD4 cells. What are yours?

MAC will make you have a lot of bowel movements,which you do not seem to have. Systemic MAC infection can cause spiking fevers and lethargy. Diarrheal illness caused by MAC includes these symptoms as well.

Gut problems can be caused by many HIV and non HIV related causes. I would not take antibiotics without consulting your physician.

Nelson

Previous
treatment for lipodistrophy
Next
Atripla Sildenafil interaction

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.