Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load Still Detectable
May 18, 2010

I tested positive just over a year ago. At the time my cd4 was 5 and my VL was 200,000. Its been just over a year and my cd4 has gone up to 161 and my VL is still at 600. My DR has changed my meds several times and I have had several Geno Type tests. She is baffled as to why I am not undetectable. She called the hotline in SF and they told her she has done everything correctly as far as changing meds. Is it possible that I am just stuck with the VL the way it is? Is it possible that my VL could be non-mutating cells? Any suggestions?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Did she run a genotype test before you started medications? What medications have you been on so far (give me the combinations, please) Thanks

nelson

I have had 4 Geno Type Tests in the past year. I am pretty sure she did do one before I started meds.

Here are the Meds and Combinations: 1st Regimen: Atripla 2nd Regimen: Prezista, Norvir, Truvada 3rd Regimen: Prezista, Norvir, Isentress, Trizivir 4th Regimen: Prezista, Norvir, Isentress, Truvada

I just started the 4th Regimen. After a few months taking the Trizivir I became very anemic so she switched back to Truvada. The past few days I am experiencing alot of lower back pain..not sure if that is a side effect from the meds. I am also taking Calexa.

Thanks for you Help!

Response from Mr. Vergel

What medications are you taking (HIV and not HIV related)? You have had good immunological response and your viral load is almost undetectable. It may be a matter of adjusting your dose or combination to get your viral load to under 50 copies per ml.

nelson

Previous
Body Changes when CD4 is low
Next
Anal Cancer - Should I be concerned?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.