you asked me to write back with more data.

This was my old message and your response:

>> Hi Nelson,

I have been HIV positive for 6.5 years now, immune system is still good and viral load is undetectable, not on meds yet.

I started having pains in my legs and sometimes in my arms and notice thinning of muscles in those areas. A very gradual thinning, but I still notice it.

My testosterone came back as low both in total and free, I believe one was 248 or so and another was 4.8 and normal started at 8.0

I was hoping for replacement therapy, but they tested again and found the levels were within normal limits. They did an 8AM blood draw that time.

I would really like to supplement as normal for HIV positive people has been rumored to be a higher level. So a level in the 300's might not be cutting it. I don't know if it would help or not, but it's very frustrating because I take extra protein in the form of nuts and shakes and things but worry because the testosterone may be fluctuating and then I'm not absorbing the protein properly.

Until I get put on the testosterone to try that, is there any other supplements I should take? I do have DHEA, but I know evidence is shaky for it's benefit. Is creatine good? I heard it just adds water to your muscles and makes you bloated, is there a benefit?

I bought this supplement at GNC which was like 80 dollars for a small pack and you take two pills and then put another pill under your tongue to dissolve... Arimatest was it's name. Said to boost Test. levels, but who knows... it was really expensive though.

I'm trying to do everything I can in leiu of having the true testosterone replacement gel.

Thanks for any help.

T.

You are lucky to have undetectable viral load without meds.

Some men need blood levels of total testosterone above 500 nanograms per deciliter to get any benefits. You do not mention decrease of sexual function, so I am not sure if you really are truly hypogonadal.

Are you working out at all? You also do not mention that.

I would not waste money on testosterone boosters. They do not work and they may be harmful to your liver. And we have no idea on their interactions with HIV meds.

Can you please answer the questions above? My help in this forum is as good as the data I get.

Thanks

Nelson >>

Additional Data:

To answer your questions, I was trying to workout every day at my workplace, we have a nice facility with free weights and ellipticals and treadmills. My muscles were really starting to ache though and when my first testosterone tests came back low I stopped working out for fear of damaging something as my ANA Titer was also high.

I don't have that much of a libido, but I can get and maintain an erection and I have no problem with orgasm. Although semen consistency seems runny and not as thick as it used to be. Ultrasound though was normal of the testicles and no real sign of infection. Fertility test showed sperm count was low to a degree.

I guess I hoped that adding testosterone and working out could help build lean muscle, is this true or do most have to also add an anabolic like Deca or Oxandrin?

I will stay away from the GNC supplements then, I guess I just felt like my hands were tied and was trying to improve the test. level.

Thanks for your help,

T.

I would try 5 grams a day of creatinine (I like Jarrow's Creatine Surge) for increasing lean body mass. Creatine is the supplement with the most data behind it. It can increase kidney function in some, but at 5 grams a day is not a problem for most. If you are able to have a good erection, I would not do testosterone. Testosterone gels and injections increases sexual function but shut down your body's own testosterone production. So, unless you are committed to stay on it, it would probably not be a good idea to start. Sex drive is cyclical and changes in people depending on many factors unrelated to testosterone. Stress, sleep habits, lack of sexual attraction for our sex partners, being too busy with kids and chores, alcohol, drugs, etc can affect sexual function even in those with higher testosterone blood levels.

Be careful not to work out too much as it has been known to decrease lean body mass to do so. Three times a week for an hour should be enough for most. By the way, DHEA has not been shown to increase testosterone in men and can actually increase estrogen and cause increased breast size in some men.

Nelson

Can I switch to taking my Atripla in the morning?
Neck swelling