Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv+ plus pml living- How do I increase my Cd4 cells?
Apr 1, 2010

i'm a hiv+ and pml survivor. About my daily drug regimine, is their and advancement in boosting the cd4 count with a specific drug? what suggestion do u have if any?

Response from Mr. Vergel

I am so glad you survived PML!

Some people are discordant responders to HAART. Their viral load becomes undetectable but their CD4 cells do not increase a lot.

The choice of HAART combo may make a difference in those patients. There seems to be a small but significant larger increase in CD4 cells in those who use a norvir-boosted protease combination compared to a non nucleoside one. But I do not think I have seen a study that switches anyone with discordant response from a non-nuke to a protease inhibitor to see if their CD4 cells boost up.

a research cytokine called Interleukin -7 is being studied now for those who have not had a robust CD4 cell increase after months on HAART. But the studies are on early phase and we will have to wait. Interleukin-2 showed good increases in CD4 cells counts but it seemed that people had too many side effects and they did not live longer even with higher CD4 cells produced by this therapy.

There are claims not proven by large controlled studies that show that a supplement combination called K Pax (link )increased CD4 cells in patients. But that was a small study that has not been replicated yet in larger settings, so there is still debate on that.

Most people live healthy if they have undetectable viral load and CD4 cells under 200 cells per ml, so I would not horribly concerned. Also, it takes months or years to see a substantial CD4 increase in some patients after they reach undetectable HIV viral load.

Also, try to keep a healthy weight, eat balanced, exercise and manage stress since these important life style factors may improve response of anti-retrovirals (anecdotal information that needs to be researched).

Nelson

Previous
how to look big with a great muscular mass
Next
High SGPT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.