Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Immune Supporting Vitamins
Mar 24, 2010

I was just diagnosed three days ago and I'm freaking out a little but focused on doing everything I can to live a long time from now. Some of my initial thoughts are to take Echanasia(spelt wrong) and Vitamin C to support the immune system. I've also thought about taking airborne on a regular basis. I'm 27 workout daily (used to be inconsistent with workouts) will be pretty consistent now. I also take Centrum multi-vitamin pretty inconsistently. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Response from Mr. Vergel

Echinacea can be immune suppressive. Vitamin C can cause diarrhea at high doses. Airborne has been shown not to work at decreasing incidence of duration of colds. Do not waste your time with either.

First: get your CD4 cell count and viral load numbers as soon as possible to see where your immune system is. Guidelines recommend treatment for those with CD4 cells counts under 500 cells per ml. Atripla, boosted Reyataz plus Truvada, Isentress plus Truvada, and boosted Prezista plus Truvada are the most commonly used first line regimens used in 2010. Find help from Drug Assistance Programs if you have no insurance.

Second: Get 8 hours of sleep a day. Do not go to bed late.

Third: Find all the support you need while you are going through the anxiety of knowing you are HIV positive. Support groups, therapy, exercise, talking to friends, volunteering, etc can be very therapeutic. Stress is an immune killer.

Fourth: Take a multivitamin with every meal. Do not get into fancy supplements yet.

Fifth: Make sure every one of the three to four meals a day have green leafy vegetables, whole grains and lean meats.

Sixth: Get vaccinated for Hep A and B if you have not been exposed to those two yet.

Download the fourth document on this link and read it if you can: http://powerusa.org/brochures_flyers.htm

Let me know if you need any more information once you know how your immune system is.

Nelson

Previous
over the counter testosterone
Next
Symptoms of lipodystophy and wasting.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.