Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 question for mr. Vergel
Mar 23, 2010

Hi mr Nelson. I already bought your book from amazon, and will soon start some anabolic program. There are some questions I would like to aks you. I really really hope I won't offend you in some way. And if I do please excuse me and do not answer.

During my research in internet (I do this for the past half year), I think you are one of the best experts in HIV/AIDS nutrition/anabolics field. You are truly an inspiration for all of us newly diagnosed. Can you tell us if it is no secret what are your CD4 counts now or how they were going through the years?

Thanks , appreciated.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Thanks for the kind comments.

Anabolics and testosterone saved my life in 1994 when I was wasting like most of my friends had before they died. I gained 35 pounds of lean body mass and felt great enough to be alive for 1996, when more effective HIV drugs made it to market. When I found out I was poz in 1985, my CD4 cell count was around 500 cells/ml. After living with multidrug resistance for all my poz life, my CD4 cells are around 260 now. I lived with detectable viral load for the first 25 years of infection no matter what meds I tried. I had accumulated a lot of resistance from the sequential monotherapy days and also from suboptimal protease inhibitors like Saquinavir when it came out (low absorption rate was observed in its first formulation).

I am now very healthy thanks to research drugs like Ibalizumab. It is an IV taken every two weeks and which is a monoclonal antibody that does not allow HIV to attach to teh CDe receptor. I also take another receptor blocker called Maraviroc (CCR5 receptor blocker) plus Intelence plus Truvada, so my pill burden is huge but I am so glad to finally have undectectable viral load and stable health. There are not too many of us left in the US with this kind of extensive resistance, but we are still here and trying hard to reach the undetectable goal that most patients around us have accomplished with simpler regimens.

If you are going to do anabolics, make sure you are using them for the right reasons and not to mask insecurities about your body. They are effective medicines for those who need to gain lean body mass for survival, but without proper medical supervision they may have side effects like increased red blood count, blood pressure, gynecomastia (breast enlargement) and prostatic inflammation. Many doctors are not trained in monitoring androgen use, so make sure you have one that is.

Anabolic steroids and testosterone are not immune suppressive, unlike the anti inflammatory steroids (corticoid steroids).

Let me know if you need any other information about using androgens like oxandrolone, testosterone and nandrolone along with exercise and optimal nutrition to improve lean body mass and quality of life.

Nelson

Previous
Holistic Medicine
Next
Raw seafood and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.