Tesamorelin and Prostate Cancer

I have a history of prostate cancer. I received seed-implant treatment a few years ago and my PSA has been normal for quite some time. I also suffer from lipodystrophy and recently read about Tesamorelin. Would I be able to take Tesamorelin or might there be a problem due to my prostate cancer treatment history?

Tesamorelin (brand name Egrifta), is coming up for FDA review for potential approval in May. It is a growth hormone releasing hormone that enables your body to make physiologic amounts of growth hormone. In studies, it has shown to decrease visceral fat (fat around the organs) by around 15% in 26 weeks. Daily injections under the skin are required and it seems that the fat reduction effect disappears if the drug is stopped. It increases levels of IGF-1 (Insulin Growth Factor One), which is been associated with increases in lean tissue and fat loss.

There have been some reports in the past of growth hormone causing increases in cancer rates, but this is debatable and not yet proven. Yet, some physicians may opt for not prescribing growth hormone or testosterone products for people like you since they fear that any prostatic cancer may return. It is a difficult call for which we do not have enough data, although I suspect that physiological (what the body normally produces) growth hormone and IGF-1 levels may affect cancer of any kind.

I will bring up this question to Serono, the company with the marketing rights in the US, and get back to you soon.

Nelson More on Tesamorelin

Testopel Experience
Holistic Medicine