How to help a child gain weight

My son is 5.5 years old and 40 pounds. We recently adopted him(4 months ago). He is undetectable, cd4 990 (42%), and has been on treatment since 4 months old with no changes. My son takes Kaletra, epivir, and didanosine. I am concerned about future increased cholesterol though his is normal as of now. We have him on a low cholesterol diet as a preventative(trying to do what I can), but he does need to gain weight. He is also a very healthy eater, lots of fruits, raw veggies, salads, peanut butter, yogurt, etc(really doesn't like typical american food lol). I also supplement him with a nutrasure shake for kids, 1 daily, and it has 250 calories. STILL no weight gain. He has actually lost a pound, and you can count every rib. I am insistent that a low chol. diet be a lifestyle for him(our whole family does it with him), so he doesn't have to make difficult changes later. Any ideas on how to help him gain weight in a healthy way? Thanks, and God Bless.

Is there any way that his doctor can change the didanosine to any other nucleoside (abacavir, tenofovir)? DDI may affect the mitochondria and present low weight issues in some patients.

I am assuming that he does not have DDI induced diarrhea, right?

Oxandrin, an oral androgen, has been used in pediatrics with success for weight gain. For children the total daily dosage of Oxandrin is ≤ 0.1 mg per kilogram body weight or ≤ 0.045 mg per pound of body weight. This may be repeated intermittently as indicated. Do not give it to him for long periods of time since it may stunt growth. Talk to his pediatrician about it.

Let me know what happens after you talk to doctors about these two issues.

Nelson

Please Help!
weight lifting?