The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is my gynecomastia pubertal permanent, or Pseudogynecomastia?
Mar 19, 2010

I'm 15 years old and having living with this condition for as long as I can remember. I have come to believe that I have real gynecomastia as opposed to the "fake" one. I am nowhere near over weight and I don't have any health problems that I know of. I'm also an "athlete" as I'm in cross country, track & field, and I also run marathons. Is there anything I can do to combat this issue other than just wait idly? My gynecomastia is identical to the 2 pictures shown here: Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated... Thanks

Response from Mr. Vergel

Have your doctor check your blood levels of estradiol to see if they are high. When gynecomastia has progressed, the only way to treat it is by surgery around the nipple area and using liposuction. Some men are more prone to have this problem since they may have a genetic predisposition that makes them produce more aromatase enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen (female hormone that can cause increase in breast size in men). Try to avoid alcohol, pot, soy products and smoking if you can since all those can make gynecomastia worse. Try to also lose fat if you have any excess, although this may not ultimately help. Fat cells are perfect sites for testosterone conversion into estrogen.

I hope this helped you. Talk to your doctor about referring you to a specialist that can do surgery for gyno.


Reversing AIDS wasting???
Please Help!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint