doubts on supplements

Im a 42 hiv + woman since 1991. Actually I'm on Viramune (2x day) and kivexa and my virus load is negative for the last 3 years. After reading about supplements i started taking Q10, DHEA (25 mg), omega 3, folic acid (0.04) b complex and vitamin c and stopped taking sinvastatina 10. Is there a danger of interaction with my meds and are those supplements correct? I take them to help me aging with HIV and treat my lipodistrophy.

We have no interaction data on the supplements, but I doubt that any of them would have problems (all are very commonly used in HIV, but funding of pharmacology studies to measure interactions is low unless you are taking about pharmaceutical drugs, unfortunately!)

DHEA: have your doctor measure your blood levels of DHEA-S to see if they are OK now. DHEA is an adrenal androgen that may increase testosterone in women, which could improve lean body mass and sexual function but could also have some masculinizing effects if overdosed. DHEA has become very popular specially in women since many report better energy levels and mood. But check your blood levels of its metabolite DHEA-S!

Coenzyme Q10: A small HIV study reported better energy levels compared to placebo. It may have heart protecting effects.

Omega 3 oils: Most popular supplement right now. 3000 to 5000 mg a day have been reported to decrease triglycerides and some people report better mood (anecdotal), but choose a supplement that you do not burp (take it with food)

Folic acid and B vitamins- always good to take

You stopped the lipid lowering drug? Please talk to your doctor. I would not do that unless your doctor tells you (some people can stop those meds if their diet, weight and exercise habits improve)

I hope this helps. Also, read all my posts related to lipodystrophy, The latest is http://www.thebody.com/content/art53553.html Nelson's Lipo article

Nelson

trying to gain weight
Are dietary supplements useful against cardiovascular risk?