Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Too fat
Dec 28, 2009

I am a single man who lives alone - have been advised to lose about 40 lbs. I've been poz since 94 and am on atripla. I do not like to cook and have been trying to get out of the fast-food diet. Is there somewhere that I can find a daily (in-expensive) food plan for those who do not like to cook?

Thanks for your work here!

Response from Mr. Vergel

There is nothing better for those who do not like to cook than to buy a slow cooker (crockpot). They are cheap and usually come with a cook book. Recipes are easy and food is ready and warm when you get home. All you have to do is to cut meat and vegetables and add it to the slow cooker following directions.

Other ways to have food ready in the fridge is to boil a dozen eggs and eat one a day. Oatmeal is great at breakfast since it gives you fiber and makes you feel full. Just make sure you do not buy the instant stuff that is full of sugar. Add ground flaxseed to it and some fruit and eat it for breakfast or a snack anytime. Nuts like pecans, almonds, pistachios, etc are also good for you and you do not have to cook them. Some people supplement their diet with whey protein shakes and the blend them with frozen fruit. Almond butter sandwiches with multigrain bread are also great snacks.

Try to avoid sugar and sweet drinks (including fruit juices) and try to drink more water and green tea. Exercise three to four times a week for an hour so that your weight loss happens a lot faster and your muscle tone is good while you lose fat. Buy yourself a step counter and strive for 10,000 steps a day if you can so that you can lose weight a lot more effectively.

Last but not least, you may want to search healthy food companies in your area. In Houston, we have companies like MyFitFoods.com that prepare reasonably priced healthy meals that you can pick up at their store.

I hope this helps.

Nelson

Previous
Please help. I need a Hiv Regimen I can adhere too
Next
HIV treatments

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.