Is red marine algae safe to take with HIV meds?

I have checked all the forums and cannot find any info on red marine algae or sulfated polysaccharides.

I'm writing to find out if there are any known interactions between RMA (red marine algae, sulfated polysaccharides) and Atripla (my meds) or any other HIV meds?

I battle chronic HSV outbreaks, and in addition to acyclovir for treatment and prophylaxis I have started using an RMA ointment on my penis. I'd like to step it up a notch and take oral RMA capsules, but I don't want to risk HAART drug resistance or drug interactions or something going horribly wrong like increased viral load or decreased CD4 as a direct result of taking oral RMA. Is there a possibility that using sulfated polysaccharides for HSV could negatively effect the efficacy of my HIV meds or cause HIV mutations or resistance in my blood?

Also, to clarify, Atripla is working very well me for the HIV; I am not planning to take the RMA for HIV, only for the herpes.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua

Joshua

We have no data on that product and its interactions with HIV medications

If you have frequent outbreaks of herpes, talk to your doctor about having you try famciclovir (Famvir) or Valacyclovir (Valtrex) if acyclovir is not working for you.

Excessive sun exposure, fevers, infections, stress and other factors seem to also trigger herpes outbreaks, so keep that in mind. It seems that HIV+ may have more issues with more frequent outbreaks.

Nelson

Is Creatine supplementation safe on my kidneys with Truvada?
top athletes and hiv