Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Opticians & Contact Lenses
May 24, 2009

I didnt know where to ask this, hope you can help.

I need to book an appointment with an opticians as i need contact lenses, and wondered if the optician needs to make any special arrangements or have any proceedures if i use the trial lenses (that they use for every patient) - is the risk of infection minimal, and would general cleaning proceedures be adiquate?

I know with a dentist their cleaning techniques are enough, but wasnt sure with an opticians - can they tell from your eyes if your HIV+ and should i tell them?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

It's always advisable to confide in your doctors, dentists and health care professionals by disclosing your HIV-positive status. However, even if you did not disclose, or didn't know your status, rest assured there is no HIV-transmission/acquisition risk involved from visiting your optician or dentist or doctor. Universal precautions are in place to prevent the spread of bloodborne pathogens (such as hepatitis and HIV) from patient to health care worker, from health care worker to patient, and also from patient to patient. Remember, 25% of HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected with the virus.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Eating healthy when unable to prepare meals
Next
The forgotten patients

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.