|Eating healthy when unable to prepare meals
May 17, 2009
I suffer from Bipolar disorder and while I generally have a good grasp on it, there are days where I will not get out of bed or just stay in the shower all day. I see a counselor and we sometimes tweak my medications, but regardless I end up crashing eventually. It's lasted a bit over a week at most.
I am not worried about missing doses of any medications, as I've always been able to continue taking them every day, but I am not always able to feed myself. Sometimes I'll just sleep through hunger pains, or I will not feel them for a day or two.
A friend of mine checked up on me during one of these episodes. I had energy but every part of my body felt sore. I had no desire to eat, no appetite, it seemed just too troublesome to pour cereal or scramble some eggs. They brought over a big box of Ensure and left it in the fridge for me.
I have been drinking these and trying to get myself up every now and then and the soreness went away after a few days. Sometimes I can eat a bowl of cereal, but I never finish the whole thing. I've started eating burgers again though, yogurt sometimes, and drinking 2% milk instead of the 1/2% I used to drink. In short, I'm starting to get back out of this.
Before I became positive, while I knew this wasn't healthy, it didn't seem to effect me the way it does now. I am taking Atripla and have responded very well to it, but am aware that I need to take better care of myself, including my diet. Are there any simple and healthy things I can keep around to eat should this happen again?
Afterthought: I owe my friend about $40. That Ensure turns out to be expensive!
| Response from Mr. Vergel
Ensure is full of corn syrup and sugar. I hate the stuff unless that is all you can consume.
I am very lazy most of the time when it comes to making meals. These are a few tips for people who do not have energy to cook:
- Boil eggs and keep them in the fridge for quick snacks - Buy tuna canned in olive oil. You can eat it out of the can. - Buy peanut butter and 12 grain bread. Make yourself a fast and easy sandwich. -Buy a large container of whey protein that mixes easily with milk. I love Isopure since it is so light. Buy frozen fruit in large bags at the grocery store and make shakes with fruit and whey. Add ground flaxseed for fiber. -Low fat cheese with multigrain crakers will give you good calories and calcium -Buy lean ground turkey and lightly cook it with olive oil, spices and add a container of tomato spagetty sauce. Freeze it in small containers for later consumption. - Make oatmeal with milk, whey protein, almonds, and honey. Freeze it in small containers so that you can have it ready for quick breakfasts. - I love unsweetened low fat yogurt (the ones made by Greek companies are always goo). I add nuts, honey, and fruit to it. - I make large pots of wild rice and mix it with lean ground beef (or the turkey I mentioned before). Believe it or not, rice mixed with tuna is also great, fast, tasty and full of protein and fiber. - I have mixed nuts in my office, car, and by the bed if I get hungry.
I hope this helps
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Pain In Penis After Having Sex During Period What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Swollen Glands After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From Chlamydia?
- Early Stages Of An Std
- How Do I Get Rid Of Vaginal Pain After Sex?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.