Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will Medicaid pay and if so, how will I find a Dr. in DFW TX that will do it correctly?
May 15, 2009

Hello! I am praying you can help me. I am DESPERATE to get rid of this buffalo hump/very large tummy (I had been on two PI's and Zerit and was recently taken off.) Between that and the fat loss in my face, butt, etc. I look like a freak and people do not fail to continuously mention that. I have NO self-esteem as it is and have even less now. Can you please help me? Does Medicaid pay for the procedure, what exactly does the procedure entail, will it grow back and would you PLEASE be so kind as to help me find a reputable doctor that will do the procedure and has the most experience in doing it? I would appreciate it more than words could say. Thank you so very much for your time and attention and I wish you a wonderful day.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Ultrasound assisted liposuction has shown to be very effective in removing fat in the buffalo hump. Some doctors are getting Medicare and Medicaid to pay for the procedure if the hump causes neck pain or other medical issues. I do not know any doctors in your area, but most primary care doctors are aware of who is performing liposuction or facial reconstruction in their area, so ask your doctor about it.

Now that you are off Zerit and the PI's (I am assuming you are taking a good HAART combo that replaces them), I hope that your changes for the hump to return are minimized. I would also make sure that you exercise to improve your insulin resistance since that may be linked to the hump. Also, keeping your lipids in check is key to probably minimizing its return.

Nelson

Previous
dont see mucle gain
Next
Is the supplement resveratrol bad for HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.