Yohimbe

Hi Nelson, I am in my mid 50's and have been poz for about 8 years. I am on Atripla and daily use Androgel for low testosterone. My Dr. also has me on viagara as needed, but I would like to boost my libido. I searched for answers in The Body arcives and would like to try yohimbe, but there isn't much information or suggestions about how much to use. Any new or updated information would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are some conflicting data on yohimbe, an extract from the bark of a tree that has been used for years to increase blood flow to the penis. It can make people anxious and increase heart rate and blood pressure, and it does not work in many. There is a prescription grade yohimbe called Yocon in the United States. I have tried and I felt nothing more than anxiety and rapid heart beat.

I would make sure your blood levels of free testosterone is withing range as a priority. Total testosterone can be normal is some HIV positive men while the unbound, "active", free testosterone may be low.

Sexual desire decreases in many people as we age. For me, it also seems to be a cyclical issue that is tied to my mood, level of stress, exercise, sleep, and intimacy with my sexual partners. So having normal testosterone is not the magic bullet that people talk about.

Sex drive, what a complex thing!

Nelson

K-PAX
genital warts