Annoyed and confused

I found out that i was HIV positive about a year ago. I had a meeting with my specialist in June and without even being on meds my CD4 was at 680 and my viral count was only 2500.

Because this was a pretty good set of numbers we left it six months for the next set of tests. Oh i found out that i had type 2 diabetes at about that time as well.

So in order to FURTHER improve my health i started exercising twice a week in a gym and walking to and from work (30min trip) every day. I started eating VERY well, no more sugar, only drink water, everythings balanced, only whole grain pasta/bread, you name it ive done it.

I lost 10kg so now im 6'1" tall (185cm) and weigh 81kg.

I pretty much expected it was a GIVEN that my immune system would have improved with all these positive changes... but i had my meeting just now and my CD4 is down to 540. Whats more... my viral load has increased ten-fold to about 25000!

I mean... is it IMPOSSIBLE to fight this disease without being on the meds? Am i INEVITABLY going to have to take them?

Many people live for a long time without taking meds. Some lucky ones are "elite controllers" that do not require meds. But most of us eventually require them. To be honest, I have been positive for 25 years and if I was to test positive today, I would not want this bug to be replicating in my body, no matter what viral load I have. But that is just my opinion. Guidelines recommend starting treatment at 350 CD4 cells or if you have kidney disease. For those in a relationship with an HIV negative person, HIV medications may be considered to decrease the potential of infecting the negative partner.

Your numbers may have gotten worse due to an isolated incident like the flu, herpes/STD's, stress, and other factors. Besides, one number does not make a trend. You need at least two numbers to draw a line.

I would not worry too much and keep doing the great thins you are doing. Human nature makes us find reasons to stop doing what we consider extra work to stay healthy, so these lab results will probably give your brain reasons to stop. Don't fall for it.

Let us know how things go. At TheBody.com, we are here to help and support you.

Nelson

Ginko Biloba
NO2 for better performance at the gym.