Psylium Husks - please can you help!

Dear Nelson,

I am HIV+ and have recently been diagnosed with very bad Ulcerative Colitis.

My doctor wants to put me on Prednisolone but i dont want to take it as i have heard that it can decrease CD4 levels.

I have terrible diarrhea 10 - 15 times per day. I have read that Psylium husks can help bulk and thicken stools. But my question is, is it safe to take with Atripla and if so when should i take them?

I have read it can effect absorbtion levels of the meds, so what do you suggest?

Thanks so much

Do not take fiber supplements with your meds since it may impair absortion. You should take Atripla on an empty stomach.

I would use Citrucell instead of Psylium since it does not cause gas.

Also, talk to your doctor about non prednisone based medicines for ulcerative colitis. Long term use of prednisone can affect bones and make people gain fat. However, prednisone is an amazing anti-inflammatory agent that can save lives. I am taking it for back pain and my CD4 cells have gone up. HIV is an inflammatory disease and prednisone may actually help sometimes. But long term use has been associated with joint death, bone loss, and adrenal disfunction.

Some people use glutamine powder to heal the gut. Talk to your doctor about it since there are some studies that show that it may help those with your condition.

Nelson

Astragalus
what is defined as proper nutrition?