Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV exposure
Dec 7, 2008

I am a hetrosexual man, who had oral sex with a women who was HIV positive. Afterwards I panicked and went to the hospital. They put me on PEP (post exposure propholaptic) for a period of 4 weeks. This treatment was terrible and I dont reccommend it to ANYONE. I have been tested for the first two months and was I was negative. I however have not returned to get my 3rd month test. I am aware that this is the test that would show antibodies if present. What are my chances of having a positive test.....She was on medication when I engaged in oral sex

Scared

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Scared,

I am not able to provide you with estimated statistical risk statistics, because I don't know what type of "oral sex" you engaged in. Did she give you a blowjob or did you perform cunnilingus on her or perhaps both? Overall, oral sex of any type carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis, not "popholaptic," by the way) is often not recommended for such low-risk exposures. If your partner was on antiretroviral medications that drove her HIV plasma viral load down to undetectable levels, the chance of HIV transmission would be significantly reduced. The bottom line is that you need to follow up with your post-PEP HIV screening tests (at both three months and six months). The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this incident.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Im using Different Suppliments can they be harmful some how?
Next
Ironman training

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.