Dr. Dieterich, your response on . Follow-up please.

Dear Dr. Dieterich. I follow this Forum religously as an HIV postive person and health care provider.

Often times your responses are brief and do not adequately discuss all the issues at hand. Perhaps answering fewer questions but going into greater detail, where appropriate, would be a better strategy.

Re: the posting on April 9, re: <No-Flush Niacin>, your answered appeared too brief.

You did not mention that niacinamide doesn't work on triglycerides. Nor did you mention inositol hexanicotinate, or methods to ways to prevent flushing/itching related to niacin. Don't you think it would have been suitable to discuss each of these issues as well?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards and thanks

MVB, New York City

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear MVB, Thanks for the info. It is true that niacin does not effect triglycerides although I don't recall that being part of the question. As for inositol, I really don't know anything about it. Perhaps Cade can help us on that one. Niacin is not the answer if there are severe perturbations of either cholesterol or triglycerides and in my experience the side effects far outweigh the potential advantages. DTD

Confusion about Experts' Supplement Recommendations
optimune for wasting