facial wasting

Hello Nelson, My husband was diagnosed a few months ago. He's been taking HIV meds for 3 months. He started on Norvir, Isentress, Presista, and Truvada (vl. over 400,000. ) He reached undetectable in a month but the side effects were bad so his doctor put him on Atripla. He's been on it for the last 2 months ( still undetectable). He's ( in his 50s)always been skinny but it seems that in the las 3 months he's getting skinnier and his face is too (real skinny). What do you recomend to avoid this. He is getting too concious about facial wasting he takes vitamins and minerals but is there something else he needs to take or a special diet?. We read that a person who's HIV positive should eat more food and more calories than other people is that true? Thank you for your help

It is rare to get lipoatrophy with the HIV medication he has taken. I bet he is losing weight and that makes him look like he has facial wasting.

I would concentrate on having him eat at least 2500 calories a day. He should concentrate on calorie/nutrient-dense foods like natural peanut butter, tuna, cottage cheese and whey protein shakes(if he is not lactose intolerant), lean meats, eggs, nuts and seeds, all fruits and diverse color vegetables, etc

I think you can motivate him to eat if you tell him that when he gains weight his face will fill up! If he is still worried about facial wasting after gaining a few pounds, contact me here to talk about it.

He is undectable and healthy. Now, let's beef him up :)

Nelson

Follow Up Question
Should I be concern about loosing weight?