Too good to be true?:SAMe and HIV depression, and the liver

Nelson

This SAMe supplement souds too good to be true. An antioxidant, liver cleanser that helps with depression and arthritis? Yeah, right! What do you think?

Luis

Dear Luis

I am convinced this supplement works for depression and fatigue. I have taken 400 mg twice a day for a few months and can definitely feel a difference the first day. I actually get reminded when I do not take it by decreased energy. Something else that I have noticed is that my hairy leukoplakia goes away within days, so I assume its antioxidant properties may be helping in controlling EBV. An added bonus is that it can also decrease liver enzymes. However, it is contraindicated for those with bipolar disorder since it may increase mania in them.

It is not cheap. I get mine from Jarrow Formulas (a brand I trust) at the Houston Buyers Club. It comes in foil-protected 200 mg-capsules since it tends to lose its effectiveness when exposed to air.

Here is a summary of studies that show that it works as well as commonly prescribed antidepressants, and also some data on liver function and arthritis pain:

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Depression/treatment/alternative/sam-e.asp

I am also including a study done at ACRIA that also found benefits in treating depression in those living with HIV:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=535560

Talk to your doctor before talking this supplement and do not stop taking your antidepressants to switch to SAMe without your doctor's approval.

Nelson

olive leaf extract
Muscle Wasting