Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Houston buyers club
Jul 17, 2008

Hi Nelson, Sorry to bother you. I know you are busy trying to doing something great in the fight against hiv! Brother you are an inspirational figure and we are grateful to have you fighting among us. Nelson i read something that you have a supplement vitamin and mineral list that you take in addition to your hiv drug regime- where can i find that? and also- vitamins and minerals are very costly- i mean at gnc or vitamin shoppe i have trouble fitting the bill. Does the Houston Buyers Club do online shopping that would help me foot the bill? Sorry for the long question. In best of health :-) Nikos

Response from Mr. Vergel

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, you can order by phone from the Houston Buyers Club, a non profit organization, by calling 800-350-2392 or email info@houstonbuyersclub.com

There are only a few supplements that have some HIV-related data:

Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oils)- To lower triglycerides

Niacin (a B vitamin)- To increase good cholesterol HDL and lower bad cholesterol LDL- Good to combine with fish oils. You may experience a flush and some people say taking a baby aspirin 30 min before taking niacin helps to minimize that problem

B vitamins- Just good in general for health. I take the B-100 formula

K-PAX- a small study showed some potential benefit in CD4 cells but we need a larger study to be sure. It is a mixture of antioxidants and vitamins in a packet

JUVEN- an amino acid powder with some pilot data that shows increases in lean body mass in people with unintentional weight loss

Selenium- Some encouraging data in immune response in those with deficiencies

SAMe- An ACRIA study showed that this supplement improved depression and energy in HIV positives. It is also a strong antioxidant that may have liver protective properties

The folks at the Houston Buyers Club can give you more details about dosage and brands.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Nelson

Previous
Use of Juven
Next
what new drug looks soon to hit approval for salvage patients

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.