Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Use of Juven
Jul 8, 2008

My father-in-law has been sick lately and with his illness he has been losing weight. Will the use of this Juven product help him to regain his weight back? If this is a duplicate question I apologize, but I checked and did not see a question relating to mine.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Juven has some interesting data for HIV wasting in a small study, so hopefully it will help your father-in-law to regain some weight. Two of my friends and my mother-in-law who had cancer have taken it and have loved how tasty and light it is. It is a combination of three aminoacids:

HMB (â-hydroxy-â-methylbutyrate)- claimed to help muscle cells produce the cholesterol they need to maintain cell strength and structure without raising blood cholesterol.

Arginine- an amino acid (a building block of protein) that is key for building muscle and for immune cell development.

Glutamine- an amino acid that is key for building muscle and fueling immune cells and gastrointestinal (GI) cells.

The manufacturer claims that by working together, these three ingredients help build muscle, slow protein breakdown in muscle and support the immune system.

It is an expesive supplement. You can find more info at juven.com. Buyers Clubs like the Houston Buyers Club (houstonbuyersclub.com) may have cheaper prices.

Juven is a low calorie supplement. For increased calorie intake , you can also have your father-in-law drink some light whey protein supplements (provided that he is not allergic to whey products.) You can call the folks at the Houston Buyers Club and they can direct you to the most economical and lightest whey drinks.

Try to give him calorie-dense products like cheese, peanut butter, egg salad, tuna salad, cottage cheese, nuts, and any other nutritious foods that he may like. When people are sick, their sense of taste may be impaired and some foods may taste strange, so it is always good to ask him what tastes the best so that he is encouraged to eat. Also, addressing any undelying illness and depression is key to improving appetite.

Good luck. Your father-in-law is lucky to have you to do all the research that he is probably too sick or tired to do by himself.

Nelson

Previous
Thanks for the quick response
Next
Houston buyers club

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.