Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Natural Options: Low Testosterone
Jun 29, 2008

Hi.

I am a 38 year old HIV poz man who started testosterone therapy after diagnosis about 5 years ago when my test looked low. I take testim 100mg. MY levels are still in the low range 17.0 free test for a normal range in my age group of 13.5-39.0

I'd like to get off of it. MY fear is my test will go down to nothing. I just don't feel turning off my natural production is working with this synthetic alternative.

What is your view?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Your testosterone will definitely go down and may stay down for a long time after you stop Testim (1% testerone gel.) If you had low testosterone at baseline, you may never return to "normal". Why do you want to get off testosterone? If you do not have side effects like high levels of hematocrit, prostatic inflammation, high blood pressure unresponsive to treatment, or terrible acne, I would not get off testosterone therapy. Just do not give up because you have not achieved normal levels of free and total testosterone. There are other options.

If your testosterone levels are still low, do not use Testim and instead use testosterone injections of 200 mg every two weeks (1 cc) or ask your doctor to order you a stronger custom made compounded gel with over 5% testosterone (Testim and Androgel only have 1%). Many compounding pharmacies have good gels with up to 10% testosterone.

Many doctors in HIV use The Compounding Shop or College Pharmacy to provide testosterone gels or nandrolone to patients. These are two compounding pharmacies that mail products after they get a prescription from you doctor. They seem to have good quality control (they fax quality control certificates to doctors if required.) Their prices are a lot cheaper than Testim or Androgel (which cost around $1000 a month). Most compounded testosterone gels cost around $50 a month. I have personally used compounded gels and find them a lot better and a lot cheaper at raising testosterone levels since they contain more active product.

By the way, do not waste your money on "testosterone boosting" supplements. They do not work and they are a rip off that should be banned by the FDA.

You may find more info in my book Built to Survive and my last newsletter about hormones:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs020/1101823881298/archive/1101825972178.html

I hope this helps!

Nelson PoWeR Newsletter

Previous
Spike in viral load
Next
Me again Testosterone Levels

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.