Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Loyalty
Jun 25, 2008

Today while at the gym, my husbands has been working out for the past couple of days with a young man with Cerebral Palsy. Today - the young man confided in my husband that he was born with HIV/AIDS as well. My husband being a very loyal person, does not want to give up working out with this young man due to his situation. However, my husband also trains with two other males that also work out with this young man, whom has not confided in the other two males. Our dilema is how do we deal with it? What precautions should be taken? Are there any risks to my husband or the other two men. Are we required to inform these men or other members of the gym of this young mans status? Is there a possibility that this young man could lose his membership? If so, it would implement my husband because he knows.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

No special precautions need be taken. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact.

No, your husband and the workout buddies are not at risk. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact.

No, you are not required to inform the workout buddies or other members of the gym of the young man's status. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact.

No, the young man would not lose his membership. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact.

No, this would not "implement" your husband, because he knew. HIV is not transmitted by causal contact.

So long as no one is having unsafe sex with the HIV-positive guy at the gym, absolutely no action need be taken. (If they are having sex on the bench press, they should be using a latex condom!)

By the way, did I mention HIV is not transmitted by causal contact?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Why the abdominal fat increase after starting meds ?
Next
Testosterone and Acne

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.