Low testosterone Levels

Hi there,

I was diagnosed hiv October 2007, although my cd4 was 850 and vl 6000, this has gone up and down slightly, but I was getting a number of infections prior to being diagnosed. Candida, OHL, etc etc....My testosterone level was measured and is 9.6. My dr wont prescribe anything for it. Im underweight always been slim Im 52kgs and 5'10 (skinny). Feeling tired, depressed no energy loss of labido for over 6 months. Really fed up, is there anything I can do to change my doctors mind. Your thoughts would be really helpful. Hope lifes is being good to you x Adam

Dear Adam:

I am not sure if you are giving me total or free testosterone values, and if your 9.6 is in nanomolars or miligrams per deciliter. You use Kgs in your email, so I know you are not in the United States and may also be referring to nanomolars. So I am not sure I can help you specifically. But let's assume that your testosterone is low and your doctor does not want to prescribe. You can ask your doctor why he or she does not want to prescribe. Some doctors not well informed in testosterone therapy think that it will cause prostate cancer, mood disorders, liver problems, addiction, etc...none of which are true. Others may think that patients will have more sex and spread the virus ( higher testosterone levels do not mean that you will be less likely to use a condom.) So, there are many misconceptions to the use of this important therapy.

You may also want to look for another doctor. I know several patients that have switched doctors who do not believe in treating quality of life (QOL) issues. There are many good HIV doctors, but fewer good doctors that treat not only HIV but also co-morbidities and problems that decrease QOL.

It is important to see if you have depression that has nothing to do with your testosterone. Sleep apnea, low thyroid function, adrenal insufficiency and other factos can also explain your symptoms. A good doctor can diagnose the right problem.

Now we have injections, gels, gum stips, and pellets to treat low testosterone levels in men, so there is no need to suffer if you are truly hypogonadal (diagnosed with low testosterone). Testosterone changed my life for the better 15 years ago when we had no HAART and not many other options but to roll over and die.

For more information , go to medibolics.com or www.thebody.com/content/art32237.html

Be well and let me know what happens!

Nelson

constant diahrrea
Why the abdominal fat increase after starting meds ?