The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Body pain
Jun 13, 2008

I am 42 and have had an AIDS diagnosis for 13 years. I am doing well now after becoming an organic vegetarian and regular exercise and herbal suplaments. I do however suffer from body aches. I have a diagnosis of radiculopathy (sp?) in my legs, for years they said it was neuropathy but now say this. I take Lyrica at night so I can sleep but during the day I have sever body aches especially in back and lower body, to the point that it is difficult getting up from a seated position. The dr said it is not fibramialgia (sp?) and other dr have been no help accept for prescribing narcotics wich I do not want. I am taking Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada for 2 yrs T-cell @ 200 and hovering with undetec. viral load. I also suffer from low energy level and it is difficult to maintane muscle mass even though I take a protien supplament daily. And , I am not depressed, although frustrated. Please help, thanks.

Response from Dr. Henry

Body pain in fairly common in the general population and more so in HIV+ persons with many cases evading a good specific diagnosis and treatment. Low hormone levels (such as testosterone or thyroid), low vitamin levels (such as vitamin D), and a variety of muscle or joint conditions can contribute to diffuse body pain warranting a good history and physical examination. Referral to a rheumatologist, neurologist, or pain specialist can benefit some patients. KH

Is Botox safe with HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint