Lower cholesterol without drugs

My cholesterol levels have crept above 200 after three years on Reyataz & Epzicom. I'm in good condition with my aerobic exercise routine, take supplements that should help my cholesterol (like omega-3s and green tea extracts), and have a small glass of red wine most evenings with dinner. I avoid fried and overly-processed foods for the most part. How much can I reasonably expect my eating and exercise habits to be effective in lowering my cholesterol? Is there anything you recommend I add to my supplements to help (e.g. l-carnitine)?

It seems that you are doing everyting you can to lower cholesterol but I have a few suggestions:

Just make sure that you are taking at least 3000-4000 mg a day of Omega 3 capsules, that you sweat while doing cardio for at least 20 min a day, that your sweet consumptions is low, that you are eating oatmeal daily , and that you do not exceed two glasses of wine a day. L-Carnitine at 2000 mg a day can also help bring triglycerides and cholesterol down, specially taken with Omega 3 fatty acids. Niacin has also been shown to be effective decreasing cholesterol. In some studies, niacin at daily doses of 2-3 grams can lower LDL and total cholesterol by approximately 20-30%, lower triglycerides by 35-55%, and increase HDL cholesterol by 20-35%. It can cause "flushing" of the skin in some patients for 20-30 minutes that may make it uncomfortable for them to take it. Slow adjustment of the dosage, administration with food, and giving a baby aspirin before niacin may minimize these reactions. Niacin is available as an over-the-counter supplement and also as a prescription drug called Niaspan.

Some people do all they can to lower cholesterol naturally but are yet to get down to recommended levels. There are genetic factors involved in many cases. For those, taking lipid lowering meds is a good idea.

Keep up with the great work!

Nelson

Fresh lemon juice & CD4
No2 supplement and HIV meds is it ok to take