supplement taking

hi, thanks for taking time to answer, i have been + for 10 years cd4 600 undetectable, i go to gym 3 times week, very fit, but lately have been loosing body mass and muscle, just wanted to know is creatine, protein and glutamine ok to take? also wanted to buy some supplements like Testosterone incresers like tribulus,, Nitric oxide and secretagoge? do you think this could have some harmful effects? thanks a lot for yout time.

Creatine has been shown in some studies to increase lean body mass and stregth. However, there was a small HIV related study that found no benefits wuth taking this supplement. I personally use it and believe it gives me considerable stregth at the gym and makes me feel more "pumped". I like a product called Betagen. Just make sure that your creatinine clearance (something that measures how your kidneys are working) is ok by talking to your doctor before taking it.

Whey protein supplements may help some people gain weight. I personally cannot take them since I am allergic to them and get a lot of gut problems. A HIV related study found no increases in lean body mass because people on this supplement tended to compensate by eating less during the day, so not net increases in caloric intake.

Glutamine may have protective properties for the gut for those with diarrhea. A small study found that those taking over 15 grams a day of glutamine plus vitamins gained substantial amounts of lean body mass. I personally do not use it but have no real bias against it.

There is no evidence that Tribulus and secretagoge increase testosterone at all. Do not waste your time on those supplements.

I say if you want to spend money on things that may increase lean body mass (provided that you work out), spend it on almonds, eggs, fish, tuna, lean meats, hummus, etc Creatine may have some benefits if used correctly and while sticking to an effective resistance exercise program.

Nelson

How Much is Too Much
Vitamin skepticism