how often should I exercise?

Hi Nelson,

I'm 28, been on combivir and sustiva for a year.I've started treatment with CD4 around 350. I'm in shape.I've been going to the gym for a couple of years, but now more interested. How often and hard should I train!? What about cardio? I want muscles and no fat.

Thanks a lot,

Arthur.

Dear Arthur

First of all, I assume that you have not suffered from lipoatrophy since you do not mention it. Sustiva plus Combivir can cause lipoatrophy (loss of fat under the skin in extremities, face and butt.) But some people may be protected genetically against lipoatrophy (I have seen people taking AZT or D4T for years with no signs of lipoatrophy)

Designing an exercise program depends on your body mass index, percent fat, any joint or mechanical problems, blood pressure /heart rate limitations, endurance, etc. So it is difficult for me to tell you what the best program would be for you without those data.

Most people do well with cardio for 30 minutes (with sweating) 3-4 times a week prior to 45 minutes of weight training with machines or free weights. But is you are under-weight, I would cut down on your cardio for a while. Of course, eating properly with lots of lean protein, good fats and fiber is key.

I am sorry I can not be more specific!

Nelson

meds and herbal supplemts such as green tea and omega 3, fish oils,.
bone density