Exercises to reverse Lipoatrophy

Hi Nelson,

I had severe Lipoatrophy but since i switched medication to ATRIPLA..it is slowly being reversed. The most affected was my lower body, my butt and thighs disappeared and my legs are thin and stomach is big. I go to the gym three times a week and my trainer encouraged me to do strength training to build muscle but iam not seeing any results. What are the best exercises to help in this case? especially the most effective abs exercises?

Please advise thanks and regards Charity.

Dera Charity:

Your question is one of the most common ones I get.

Exercise can increase lean body mass AND burn visceral and subcutaneous fat. Some of us have been working out hard to increase lean body mass in our arms, butt, legs to compensate for the fat loss that has occured in those areas due to AZT/D4T induced lipoatrophy.

Skinny legs are common in long term survivors. The best exercise is squating with a machine (I do not use free weights for squating unless it is using dumbells at each side)Lunges are great but I hate them :)because I had back surgery 15 years ago and am very careful not to strain my back.

Be careful with abdominal exercises since they may make your belly bigger as muscles grow. Some of us were in a way lucky to have lipoatrophy in the abs that help us show a six pack more, even with protuding bellies induced by visceral fat or heavy use of androgens in the past.

I absolutely love this web site for exercise videos: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Check it out.

Nelson

general lipoatrophy
KPAX